Wednesday, December 4, 2013

George Clooney and Katy Perry reveal generation gap in views on Twitter

GEORGE Clooney (52 years old, zero followers) says stars who use Twitter are morons, but Katy Perry (29 years old, 48 million followers) says she intends to use her "terrifying" social media army to achieve good in the world.
In the January edition of Esquire UK, released today, Clooney says "anyone who is famous is a moron if they're on Twitter ... It's just stupid".
"I don't for the life of me understand why any famous person would ever be on Twitter.
"Because first of all, the worst thing you can do is make yourself more available, right? Because you're going to be available to everybody."

The Gravity star also said that the demands of film fame have become much greater since the golden years of Hollywood.
"Not that I'm comparing myself to Clark Gable, or whoever, but they couldn't survive in this environment ... They'd punch the s - t out of some people. It requires a kind of Zen quality."
But pop queen Katy Perry, who has just been made an envoy for the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF), says she is ready to put her enormous social media following to good use.
Perry has a record 48 million followers on Twitter (more even than Justin Bieber). When signing her UNICEF contract on Tuesday she said she could bring a lot of awareness to issues, because she had "a terrifying amount of people that follow me on Twitter".
"We can pinpoint it if there are various places that we need to focus on more than others; whenever there is a crisis going on I can always kind of call up my troops,'' she added.
Perry told AFP later of how social media power can be exploited if stars like herself do not preach.
"There is a generational change that is happening because of technology being so available and everybody being so connected and being able to see what is going on immediately. Nothing is so hidden any more,'' she said.
"I think one of the reasons maybe I got to the highest position on Twitter is because I am not always selling something to the Tweeters, because they hate that,'' Perry said in the interview.
"The kids don't really like to be sold to all the time. They are interested in when the music comes out, or when the video comes out.
"But I think they want to see my personality. They like when I share videos or get them involved or interact with them. They like the funny things, the silly things, they like the ranting, mumbling whatever it is I do.''
Perry said she would not silence her often outspoken style for her new post.
"It is not that I censor myself, I just know what's appropriate, what's not. I do not censor myself in real life. But I am an adult and make choices of my own for what I need to share.''
source- www.news.com

No comments:

Post a Comment